Couple warning other parents after button battery burns hole in toddler's esophagus
A couple whose son swallowed a button battery is warning other parents after it burned a hole in the child's esophagus.
Marisa and David Soto told media outlet WTIC their son, 18-month-old Cameron, was playing with his toys when he began acting strangely.
"He looked okay kind of you could tell he was in discomfort and something was wrong but it looked like he probably had a sore throat," said mom Marisa.
Marisa took Cameron to an emergency room. His condition worsened. An X-ray revealed he had swallowed a button battery and it was damaging his esophagus.
He was rushed into surgery and it was removed, but he spent months in the hospital.
"Every day, morning and night, would pray with our other two kids. Whenever we would get bad news, got good news, it was just keeping the faith and not giving up. Literally putting it in God's hands."
Cameron still wears a trach to help him breathe and he's relearned to eat and walk again. His parents want others to know about the dangers that may exist in homes all over the country.
"It's so hard to keep reliving the same moment but it's like super dangerous. If we had known, we would've never have had any toys that have those batteries in our house."