MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Homeowner heard loud boom before fire broke out inside garage

No one was hurt in fire on Breeds Hill Drive, on Monday, May 15, 2017. (Photo: Sinclair Broadcast Group)

SAN ANTONIO - Firefighters believe the combination of fumes from several gas canisters and a water heater caused an explosion at a home on the far west side.

Two people were inside at the time, but thankfully they escaped without injury.

It happened just before nine Monday morning on Breeds Hill Drive near Marbach and South Ellison.

Firefighters say most vapors and fumes from things like gas canisters aerosol cans will hang pretty low.

If you're keeping them in a room with a gas powered appliances like this water heater, they say find another place to store them.

"They had a gas water heater. There were several cans of gasoline in there,” said battalion chief Walter Yates.

The family that lives at the house tells us they've been renting this home for about eight years.

The two men inside got out safely as the fire quickly spread.

The fire department is reminding homeowners to take a closer look at the things the store in rooms with gas powered appliances

Firefighters say flammable liquids and chemicals should be stored in a place that's cool and dry with good ventilation.

“You may Google online and see that it's safe to go x amount of feet away but bottom line is just don't do it," said Woody Woodward, with the San Antonio Fire Department.

Firefighters estimate the damage to this home to be in the neighborhood of $50,000.

The people who were living here say they'll be staying with family members for the next few days, but plan on not returning once repairs are made.

Another good tip firefighters want to pass along is for gas powered appliances to have at least three feet of clearance from other flammable items at all times.

Trending