Most ticketed school zones for speeding in San Antonio revealed
SAN ANTONIO —
The results are in for the most ticketed school zones for speeders in San Antonio.
Police records obtained by Fox San Antonio for the 2016-2017 school year showed Woodlawn Hills Elementary on the West Side had a whopping 549 speeding tickets.
Armed with a Speedzapper radar gun, Fox San Antonio’s Ryan Wolf set out to see why the area is so dangerous with speeders.
SAPD Top School Related Traffic Citation Locations
- Columbia Heights Elementary School, 5700 S Zarzamora, 562 tickets
- Woodlawn Elementary, 1500 Bandera Rd, 549 tickets
- St John Berchmans School, 1100 Cupples Rd, 386 tickets
- Miguel Carillo Jr. Elementary, 3400 SW Military Drive, 333 tickets
- Staford Elementary, 500 Enrique Barrera Pkwy, 330 tickets
- Page Middle School, 1700 S Hackberry, 255 tickets
- Pickett Academy, 1700 E Houston, 254 tickets
- Carver Academy, 200 N Hackberry, 231 tickets
- Riverside Park Elementary, 1500 Roosevelt Ave, 196 tickets
- St Pius X Catholic School, 3900 Harry Wurzbach, 167 tickets
*Developed by SAPD Strategic Intelligence & Analytics, August 2017
STATEMENT FROM S.A.I.S.D.
“Driver awareness of school zones is key to keeping children in our community out of harm’s way during peak traffic periods. We help ensure student safety by having a strong presence of staff and faculty outside during drop-off and pick-up times, as well as crossing guards on duty. However, it’s important to get the word out to drivers, too, to please slow down when driving in school zones so that children are not put at risk.”