Police: 'Sorry' note found next to shooting victim's body

Michelle Chase, 49, is accused of shooting a 50-year-old man Sunday morning on the city's East Side. (FOX San Antonio)

SAN ANTONIO -- Authorities have arrested a woman who they say killed a 50-year-old man and left his body outside her East Side apartment.

Michelle Chase, 49, is accused of shooting the victim, identified as William Farr, on Saturday on the city's East Side. His body wasn't found until Sunday morning outside Chase's apartment at the Spring View Manor Apartment off the 600 block of S. Rio Grande.

Investigators say next to Farr's body was an index card with the word 'sorry' on it.

"I was shocked, it's too close for comfort for me," said neighbor Florida Paul. Paul says she's lived in the complex for nine years, and nothing like this has ever happened. Police investigators spent several hours at the complex Monday afternoon. Paul went on to say Farr didn't live at the complex but would visit a woman there.

"He was a nice little guy. I didn't know him that well. He couldn't hear so he really couldn't talk, he just made noises, strange noises," added Paul.

Paul says since the man was deaf, he communicated with a tablet, and would also knock on neighbors' doors.

"He asked us to call that lady next door for him, she never answered the phone."

Paul went on to say a couple of weeks ago, the man gave her quite a scare. She claims he showed up to her door bloody, with stab wounds to his face.

"All I saw was like 10 holes in his forehead, and blood gushing out, you could barely see his face."

Paul says she was frightened and called 911.

"But I wouldn't open my door, cause I didn't know if whoever did that was behind him, and I'm on oxygen, I can't fight," she added.

The motive behind the shooting is unclear and so is the relationship between Farr and Chase.

In arrest papers, Chase first denied knowing anything about the shooting, but then admitted shooting Farr because he banged on her door and scared her. Investigators noted in the affidavit that after the shooting, Chase spent the night at the home of a family friend, went to the store the next morning and then returned to her apartment to pick up clothes for church.

That's when she saw Farr's body and called 911.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off