Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibilityFriends identify victim killed in brutal barbershop attack | KABB
Close Alert

Friends identify victim killed in brutal barbershop attack

High school friends of the victim embrace in front of the barbershop storefront (SBG Photo)
High school friends of the victim embrace in front of the barbershop storefront (SBG Photo)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
Comment bubble

A 42-year old man accused of violently attacking three people inside a barbershop choked one of the victims until they passed out, then stabbed the worker to death, according to court documents.

He's also accused of stabbing another woman several times before she ran to get help. Investigators say she was taken to the hospital but is expected to be okay.

A third employee was also inside the shop but was not hurt.

Friends came in twos and threes to the Diesel Barbershop off Bandera Road to pay their respects and celebrate a life.

Court documents identify the victim as 20-year old Evan O'Regan, known as Helle Jae O'Regan to friends.

"We’ve known her since high school and she was so sweet,” said Jazzlyn Rodriguez, a friend of O’Regan’s. “She was the kindest person.

“We love you, we miss you, we'll never forget about you,” said Celine Sendejo. “You will always be celebrated."

Friends say O’Regan celebrated her 20th birthday on Sunday.

“It’s just unfathomable,” said Shayne Brown, the founder and CEO of Diesel Barbershop.

On Wednesday afternoon, O'Regan and two other employees were cleaning the shop, getting ready to re-open

That's when police say Damion Campbell walked in.

“Under the guise of well, ‘I'm here now can I make an appointment when you guys open this weekend,’" said Brown.

While setting up the appointment, Investigators say Campbell forced the three employees to a back room.

Brown says his employees made attempts to give Campbell money, equipment, anything to get him out.

In an open letter posted to the barbershop’s Facebook page, Brown states Campbell “began asking the employees: “What have you done wrong? What have you done wrong? God sent me here to kill you because you have done something wrong! What have you done wrong?" over and over again while forcing them to the back of the shop,"

Employees were able to take down some information before the attack.

"The gentleman gave his real name, his real phone number,” said Brown.

That information coupled with surveillance video and witness testimony helped detectives find Campbell in less than four hours after the brutal attack.

The shop said it will delay opening until Friday, May 15.

A public affairs specialist with the U.S. Army released the following information about Campbell’s military background.

Comment bubble

Pfc. Campbell served as an Intelligence Analyst in the Army Reserve from October 1995 to March 1999, and served as a Military Policeman in the Illinois National Guard from August 2006 to April 2009, and the Army Reserve from April 2009 to February 2019. He deployed to Iraq from June 2007 to June 2008.

Loading ...