Otis Tyrone McKane arrested in SAPD officer's murder

    Otis Tyrone McKane, 31, was arrested in connection with the murder of Det. Ben Marconi, says SAPD. This mugshot is from a 2012 arrest. (Photo: Bexar County Jail)

    UPDATE AT 5:33 P.M.: Otis Tyrone McKane, 31, was arrested in connection with the murder of Det. Ben Marconi, says SAPD.

    UPDATE AT 4:40 P.M.: Around 4:30 p.m., San Antonio Police stopped a vehicle that they were following. Inside the vehicle was the male suspect, a woman and a baby. A warrant had been issued for the suspect's arrest in connection with Marconi's death.

    UPDATE AT 4:10 P.M.: Multiple sources confirm that a suspect in the Detective Ben Marconi's shooting death is in custody.


    San Antonio Police have confirmed a 5:15 p.m. press conference at Police Headquarters.

    Check back for more information on this developing story.

    SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Police Department continued its search for a suspect who shot and killed a 20-year veteran of the force on Sunday.

    Early Monday morning, SAPD posted a surveillance picture on Facebook of a man wearing a Spurs cap and dark-colored clothing. Police say he is the suspect wanted in the shooting death of Det. Benjamin Marconi.

    More video of the man was released shortly before 10 a.m. Investigators said the suspect walked into SAPD headquarters on Sunday morning.

    San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said he wasn't sure why the man was at headquarters and he would not reveal what the man told an SAPD employee over an outdoor intercom system.

    The suspect is described as a black male, 20 to 30 years old, between 5'7" and 6' feet tall with a slim build and a goatee. He may also have a tattoo on his left arm.

    Investigators said they are also still looking for a black Mitsubishi Galant with custom rims.

    Det. Benjamin Marconi was killed as he wrote a traffic citation for another driver just outside SAPD Headquarters just before noon on Sunday. Police said the shooter pulled up behind Marconi's patrol vehicle, got out of his car, walked up to Marconi's window and fired a shot, hitting Marconi in the head. He reached in again and fired a second time.

    Det. Marconi died about 30 minutes later at San Antonio Military Medical Center.

    A 'person of interest' was taken into custody for questioning, but police said no arrests had been made as of Monday morning.

    In a separate post, police said they were also looking for people who may have seen the shooting. A surveillance photo shows a group of three adults walking into a building.

    One of the adults is pushing a stroller with a young child.

    A reward of up to $10,000 is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of the shooter. Call Crime Stoppers at 210-224-STOP or 911 if you have any information that may help police.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...