SAN ANTONIO - A man accused of sexually assaulting a family member has been placed in Bexar County custody.
Jorge Zapata-Rosas, 29, has been on the run for nearly three weeks.
Zapata-Rosas was arrested Thursday morning by U.S. Marshal deputies near Zarzamora Street on the West Side.
“A warrant came out on 3/6 of this year which is about 3 weeks ago. Police made contact with the child's mom after there was an outcry,” says Lee R. Rosas, a U.S Marshal Deputy.
Zapata-Rosas is accused of sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl out of Ellis County.
U.S. Marshals say she was a family member.
“He was out working in Louisiana when he caught wind of the charges against him and that's is when he continued to flee and fled to the San Antonio area,” adds Rosas.
Fox San Antonio also learned Zapata-Rosas was deported in 2012. Beforehand, he was serving a 10-day prison sentence for illegally entering the country.
According to U.S. Marshals, he was also voluntarily removed to Mexico on five different occasions prior.
“We put a big priority on those who prey on our children,” says Rosas.
Before Zapata-Rosas was caught on the West Side, he had been on the run for nearly 3 weeks.
Details on the alleged sexual assault are still unknown, however, Midlothian Police are investigating.
“If you see something that is wrong if you see something that is bad going on please report (it,)” adds Rosas.