Most people don't think about car accidents when they get into the car. Unfortunately, Texas roads are no stranger to collisions, and worse, some people don't know what to do after one happens. Car accidents can leave you with injuries—physical, emotional, or psychological, and you have rights that need to be protected. While it's frightening to think about, always being prepared for an automobile collision can make the aftermath as well as the claims process less stressful.
Following these five steps may help the success of a potential personal injury case.
1. Pullover and call the police. No matter how minor or significant the accident is, if your car is drivable, pull over to the side of the road to avoid additional collisions. It is illegal to flee an accident scene. Doing so will make the situation worse. Turn on your hazards and use road flares and reflectors if you have them. Call the police.
2. Seek medical attention immediately for your injuries. Check to see if you or anyone else is injured. If so, get medical help first. You may not feel any apparent injuries or pain immediately following the crash, but symptoms can show up days or weeks later. Delaying medical care can not only put your long-term health at risk but hurt your potential accident claim.
3. Record facts and take pictures. Gather information as much as possible about the accident. Take photos of any damage. Get the other driver's name, address, license plate number, insurance, year, make, model, and vehicle registration. Be sure to get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses too.
4. Report the accident to your insurance. Contact your insurance company as soon as you can following a crash (most policies require an immediate accident report). Consulting your insurance will allow you to discuss your medical benefits and begin your claim. Keep a detailed log of any medical bills, updates, changes in health, and crash-related expenses.
5. Contact an experienced accident attorney. A team of knowledgeable injury lawyers can assist you every step of the way. They will take immediate action on your case to preserve evidence, examine the existing case law, and find the best expert witnesses in the country on your behalf. Your lawyer will put you in the best position possible to achieve the compensation you deserve.
The experienced personal injury lawyers at Thomas J. Henry Law, PLLC are available 24/7 to hear your case. Contact them at 877-978-1740 or visit www.thomasjhenrylaw.com for a free consultation.